It’s a great testimony to have lived a life of honor, integrity, and a leave a legacy for many to follow.
Here are some quotes from the late Eugene Peterson on the topic of prayer that I have found inspiring.
- Prayer gets us in on what God is doing.
- The first step toward God is a step away from the lies of the world.
- Prayer is the disciplined refusal to act before God acts.
- Prayer is the way we work our way out of the comfortable but cramped world of self and into the spacious world of God.
- Praying most often doesn’t get us what we want but what God wants, something quite at variance with what we conceive to be in our best interests.
- Talk in prayer is essential but it is also partial. Silence is essential.
- The cure of souls is Scripture directed and prayer shaped.
- The goal of reading the Word is to listen for the voice of the God who speaks.
- The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with.
- The task is not to get God to do something I think needs done, but to become aware of what God is doing so that I can participate in it.
- Waiting in prayer is a disciplined refusal to act before God acts.
- How can I lead people into the quiet place beside still waters if I am in constant motion?The reason why our prayers so often fall flat or come out “stale” is because they have been “uprooted from the soil of the word of God. Eugene Peterson Click To Tweet
For more posts by Jeff Hoglen, please visit: JeffHoglen.com